- Who we are
- How we collect your information
- What information we collect about you
- What processing we do with information collected
- Children’s information
- Property information
- How we will communicate with you
- Who we share data with and how long we keep information
- What we will not do
- Your rights, the right to complain and the ICO.
This Privacy Notice is a public document available to anyone and applies to customers of ASK Estate Agent to explain how the organisation collects and processes personal information in order to conduct normal business activities as a UK Estate Agent. We are regulated by Redress scheme Reference (PRS 010259) Normal activities can be summarised as:
- Providing social and other types of housing.
- Property and grounds maintenance and repair.
- Managing your housing, tenancy/lease and account as your Letting Agent.
We also provide additional optional services including:
- Selling properties.
- Offering 3rd party Independent mortgage advice
2. Who we are
ASK Estate Agent is the Data Controller whose head office is located 4 Outram Street, Sutton In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17 4AX. Tel: 01623 364874. The company Data Protection Officer Kelly Statham can be contacted at askestateagent.co.uk.
We have companies who conduct work for us as well as independent work, including Plumbers, Reference Agencies, Agency Express, Solicitors and Mortgage Advisors.
3. How we collect your information
ASK Estate Agent collects information from you via a variety of sources, including when you apply for one of our properties or services, complete one of our forms, when you call, write, e-mail or meet with us or respond to a survey.
We may collect information when you use our social media sites or websites.
Our landline phone calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes and our recordings are usually held for a period of six months.
We operate a CCTV system at ASK Estate Agents office for the detection and prevention of crime. It operates continuously, and recordings are held for one month.
From time to time we may operate CCTV / sound recording and / or use photography to capture evidence of breach of tenancy, alleged anti-social behaviour or crime.
We may also take photographs at our events, at our properties where we have permission to sell or let and, in our communities, to use for general marketing and publicity. However, photographs of individuals will only be used for those purposes with your consent.
We may receive information about you from third parties including:
- Your council or benefits office relating to your housing.
- Prior landlords and credit agencies when you apply for housing.
- Police, welfare or support organisations dealing with you.
- Councillors, MPs or other representatives acting on your behalf/instruction.
- Financial institutions when you apply for our services.
4. What information we collect about you
The information we require from you, the tenant(s) or leaseholder(s), includes:
- Full name (and proof of your identity / photo ID).
- Date of birth.
- National Insurance number (your unique identifier).
- Contact details (phone, e-mail or correspondence address).
- Details of anyone authorised to act on your behalf if applicable.
- Basic details (name and DOB) of all household residents.
- Banking details if you pay your rent by Direct Debit.
- Card details if you pay by card (however card details are not stored).
- Proof of housing eligibility, any interest or equity in other property.
- Other personal information that will vary on a case by case basis to help us resolve breach of tenancy, alleged anti-social behaviour or fraud.
The information we may collect from you includes:
- Disabilities or vulnerabilities. We use this information to tailor our service to better meet your particular circumstances and needs. We may use this information for safeguarding of staff.
- Financial information. We may use this to help resolve arrears payments and optionally to provide welfare, benefits and debt advice as a free service to help you budget and pay your bills. We may use this to apply for funding on your behalf.
- Health information when we require this to support funding for adaptations made to the property you are living in. More specific details are provided if you use this service.
- Photo ID, bank statements, payslips or income details when we require this information for processing a house sale or purchase.
If you do not provide the information we need then we may not be able to provide all our services to you, and ultimately you may not be able to hold a tenancy or lease with us or sell or purchase a property through us.
5. What processing we do with information collected
The information we require from you is used to manage your tenancy or leasehold agreement or other contracts between you and ASK Estate Agent.
Please read your contract carefully for specific details as ‘performance of a contract’ is usually the legal basis for processing your information and carrying out our activities
The processing activities we conduct can be summarised as:
- Managing your account charges and payments, including arrears.
- Managing the repairs, maintenance and adaptations of our properties.
- Ensuring tenancy (or contract) conditions are complied with, such as dealing with anti-social behavior or fraud.
- Complying with relevant legislation and regulation.
ASK Estate Agent conducts research and statistical analysis to help improve our business processes and the services offered to our customers, as well as to evaluate our performance against other benchmarks.
When possible, statistical information is anonymised or pseudonymised.
Ask Estate Agent conducts surveys regularly and periodically relating to our services in order to gauge satisfaction and make improvements based on feedback.
Ask Estate Agent operates a range of information and communications systems and technologies for efficient operation of the business. Personal information is stored and managed within those systems which are maintained to achieve a high level of Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability (CIA) including following best practice cyber security standards.
We hold information in IT systems which may be copied for testing, backup, archiving and disaster recovery purposes. All data is held within the UK.
6. Children’s information
ASK Estate Agent record children’s basic information if they are resident in one of our properties, including their name and date of birth – this is required for checking the property is not overcrowded and to assess other tenancy management issues where all householders and ages are required to be known.
We may receive children’s information if we are involved in the housing and tenancy aspects of a welfare case as part of a multi-agency working solution.
7. Property information
Much of the data we use relates to our properties and their maintenance and repair. We do not consider property information used in conjunction with the property address to be your personal information. For example, the age of the kitchen, results from an asbestos survey, planning to replace windows or a repair to a tap.
We are usually happy to provide you with answers to questions you may have about the property you are living in and work done to it.
As soon as your name, contact details or other personal information is used in conjunction with property information, such as to complete a property repair visit, then this is treated as personal information.
8. How we will communicate with you
ASK Estate Agent needs to communicate with our customers and this will usually be in writing or by telephone but is more commonly becoming electronic and paperless.
ASK Estate Agents will operate an opt-in mechanism for receiving direct marketing. You may remove your consent to receive direct marketing or object about direct marketing to email@example.com.
We will only discuss or communicate your tenancy or lease details with those named on the agreement or those authorised (temporarily or permanently) by you. You can authorise someone temporarily verbally over the phone or permanently in writing.
9. Who we share data with and how long we keep information
ASK Estate Agent shares limited personal data with our contractors who are carrying out services on our behalf. Our contractors are required to comply with the law and our own Data Processing Agreement to ensure data is managed appropriately and for specified purposes, including to run our out-of-hours telephone service or to complete emergency, responsive or planned property repairs.
We may share your information with a language translation service if it is necessary to translate any information into or from a foreign language for you.
ASK Estate Agent may need to share personal information with government departments and agencies, with our regulator and auditors, with utility companies or with other organisations and agencies where we are legally allowed to do so.
Information relating to a tenancy or lease agreement will be kept for as long as the agreement is active or where money is owed on the account, and for a period not exceeding three years afterwards. The basic history of who held a tenancy at which property and when will be held forever.
We may need to share information with solicitors, agents, mortgage brokers, financial advisors, court agents, surveyors and valuers relating to a property sale.
10. What we will not do
- We will not send you unsolicited marketing material.
- We will not sell your personal data on to third parties.
- We will not pass on your personal data to unrelated third parties unless we are allowed or required to do so by law or we have your explicit permission to do so.
- We will not transfer or store your personal data outside of Europe (the European Economic Area) outside of the control of the UK / European regulations.
11. Your rights
You have the right to complain to the ICO You have the right to request a copy of the data we hold about you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to request access to any of your personal data and we will always endeavour to answer your questions as part of our friendly, helpful service.
Requesting this information is Free and we will respond within one month of receiving your request.
It will always help if you can be as specific about what personal data you want to see, what it relates to and within what time frame, as that will assist our search.
You have the right to correct information that we hold.
Please advise us of any changes or corrections by contacting our Customer Services team on 01623 364874 or via e-mail to email@example.com.
You may withdraw your consent to use any information that was previously provided with your consent. Please advise us if you wish to withdraw any consent previously given to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also have other rights which can be seen by visiting the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website and reading about Data Protection law at https://ico.org.uk/.
You have the right to complain about any matter relating to our service, including how we use your personal data:
- In the first instance please contact our Customer Services team on 01623 364874 or e-mail email@example.com.
- If you are still not happy with our service you may complain to the Housing Ombudsman Service at http://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/.
- If you wish to complain about our use of your personal data you may complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at https://ico.org.uk/. 2018 our ICO registration number is ZA291127.
For further information about ASK Estate Agent, please see our website at www.askestateagent.co.uk (including website terms & conditions and information about website cookies) or contact our Customer Services team on 01623 364874.